So you want to start living a healthier lifestyle? Awesome, that’s the first step. In a world where we talk about loving yourself, knowing your worth, and believing that you have the power to do anything that you set your mind to, we often forget that in order to do so we need strong, healthy bodies. Being mindful about what we put into our bodies is not a trend but rather a lifestyle change. This change is not easy at all. You will be uncomfortable, hesitant at times, and out of your element. We work so hard at our careers, goals, and relationships, that it is time to have that same energy into our bodies. I’ve come up with a few tips and tricks to help kick start your new and healthier lifestyle.
- Let go of the processed stuff. If it can’t be hunted and gathered, it’s not for you sis. This is probably my biggest health tip. We consume so much processed foods like rice, breads and pastas. Most breads are made from refined wheat, which is very low in fiber and the essential nutrients which leads to spikes in your blood sugar. Try whole wheat pasta or Ezekiel bread as an alternative.
- Sugary drinks isn’t it. Drink more water and let go of the extra sugar. Added sugar is one of the worst ingredients in the modern diet. Sugar is actually an addiction for most people and we don’t even know it. Try to cut out or at least slow down on soda, fruit juices, and most drinks from coffee shops. Drink water, soda water, coffee (black or with cream), or tea.
- Protein for the win. Try to have some type of protein with every meal. Protein reduces your appetite and hunger levels. It tells your body that you really aren’t that hungry, its just your mind. You don’t need to eat chicken breast for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you can find protein in other things as well. Try Greek yogurt, almonds, protein powders, jerky, hard boiled eggs, just to name a few.
- Stay away from things that make you feel like shit. One of my guilty pleasures are chips. I can eat a family size bag in one sitting. Whenever I eat chips, I feel sluggish, moody, bloated and often times I feel the need to have more caffeine. Nah sis, more caffeine isn’t going to help. You have to pay attention to what your body is rejecting. If you’re constantly feeling tired and the need to have more caffeine to get through the day, pay attention to what you’re putting into your body and let that shit go.
- Get your body moving. This might hurt a bit but you need to hear it- THERE’S NO REASON TO BE LAZY. Not having time, not knowing what to do, blah blah blah are ALL EXCUSES. If you can put 110% into your work, kids, school, do the same for your body. It’s your home. Think of how hard our organs are working 24/7 to fight bacteria, disease, process all the junk foods we give it, etc. We have one body for the rest of our lives. I don’t know about you but I want to live a long life without disease. If we can help our bodies out even a little bit by eating healthier and promoting new fresh blood and strong healthy bones and muscles, I’m all for it. Go for a walk, look on YouTube to find exercises that you can do at home or at your desk, find a gym to join, find something you like and do that. No excuses. This is your life we’re talking about :)